Question of Non-EU citizen working as salaried PhD in Denmark

Q&A om A-kasse Forum In english Benefits Question of Non-EU citizen working as salaried PhD in Denmark

Viser 2 indlæg - 1 til 2 (af 2 total)
  • Forfatter
  • #59

    Dear Sir/Madam,

    I’m a current PhD student in Denmark and would like to inquire my eligibility for A-Kasse. I noticed there have been some changes of the policy, and a little confused how it fits in my situation. Here are my information:

    • I am a non-EU citizen, but have been a resident in Denmark > continuous 3 years, till now.
    • I have been a PhD student studying at Københavns Universitet (major in Science), till now.
    • During the PhD study (> 3 years till now), I also hold a work permit, receiving salaries from Københavns Universitet as a full-time employee. That has been for > 3 years. The salaries are above the minimum require amount for A-Kasse, meanwhile I also pay a high tax rate every month to the country.
    • I have not been registered as an A-Kasse member.
    • I’m still going to be enrolled as a PhD student in the following months, but the salaries/employment will ends on 1st of October.

    My question is, in this situation, can I register A-kasse now and get the unemployed benefits for the rest of my PhD study if I am unemployed (considering I’ve been getting salaries and paying taxes for 3 years)? And when I graduate, will I fit the graduate scheme of A-kasse?

    Thank you very much!



    since July 1, 2017 is has no longer been possible to receive unemployment benefits (dagpenge), in the period of a PhD study from where the salary ends until the PhD is completed. Before July 2017 it was possible to receive dagpenge, if the PhD was completed as a part-time study with less than 20 hours per week.

    However, after the law change in 2017, this is not possible anymore.

    To be able to get dagpenge, you must not be signed up/registered as a PhD student. And also off course you must be able to meet the requirements for being eligble for dagpenge. This is not relevant for you because you have to be member one year of A-kasse, and furthermore you need a work-permit (see next paragraph).

    It will be difficult to get dagpenge after finishing your PhD (after graduate scheme), because you probably don’t have a work permit that allows you to take any job with one day notice. However we do not give advice regarding VISA/work-permit, but can only tell that paying for A-kasse is only relevant if you have a work-permit which allows you to take any job with one day notice. This is a requirement for being eligible for dagpenge in Denmark.

    Best regards,

    Anders Weber,

Viser 2 indlæg - 1 til 2 (af 2 total)
  • Du skal være logget ind for at kunne svare på dette spørgsmål. Det er gratis at oprette brugerkonto.