Have completed bachelor - what about A-kasse?

I will NOT continue with master or Top Up

In this scenario it is very important that you get registered with graduate status in your A-kasse, AT LATEST 2 weeks after graduation.
If you have been a free study member you still need to contact your A-kasse and have your status changed to "graduate".

Read more about the graduate rule.


I will continue with master or Top Up

Can I get Unemployment benefits in the summer holiday?

In order to receive unemployment benefits, you must be available for the labor market. A member may be available during an unemployment period between two periods in an education if the period is over 4 weeks.
However, unemployment benefits can not be paid if the unemployment is due to the educational institution's holiday period. The "Unemployment period" (holiday) is merely considered as a period between two stages of a "full education".

The completion of one independent education (bachelor) is a prerequisite for being able to be admitted to the other independent (Top Up) education (master's). Therefore, it is considered as one full education (not two).

You may get Unemployment benefits in other scenarios

If two educations cannot be regarded as "one full education", or the period between the two "stages" is longer than the educational institution's holiday period, then the situation must be assessed in accordance with the general rules on availability.
In this case you may be eligible for unemployment benefits in the period between the two educations/stages, if you have been registered with graduate status in your A-kasse at latest 2 weeks after the graduation date of your "first education".

In addition you must meet requirements for receiving unemployment benefits ("dagpenge"), i.e. being available for the labor market, searching full-time job, attend to the meetings in Jobcenter and A-kasse, make job-logs at Jobnet.dk etc.

Secure your rights - you may need them later
Even if you do not meet these requirements for having benefits in the period between bachelor and master, then it is always strongly recommended to join an A-kasse at latest 2 week after finishing bachelor.
If you - within 2 years - decide to interrupt the master education, then you will be eligible for benefits according to your graduate status obtained with the bachelor.

This also applies if you want to take study leave from your master study within 2 years.

Still possible to have free study membership
You can also get free study membership while studying at the master education and during study leave. However you only have up to 5 years in total of free study membership. Read more about free membership for students.

Will my Master or Top Up in it self qualify for Unemployment benefits?
Your Master or Top Up will give you right to Unemployment benefits if the education is standardized to the minimum of 18 months (3 semester).
So in relation to Unemployment benefits it is important to know if your master/Top UP will have a duration accoring to the Study plan for at least 18 months.

When/if you become a master candidate later
When you become a master candidate, you can choose to be admitted (again) as a new graduate. Then you start all over again in the unemployment benefit system and are entitled to a new, full unemployment benefit period of 2 years that must be spend within 3 years.

& A-kasse

FTFa A-kasse

The cheapest A-kasse in the category "Open for Anyone"
Sign Up Read more about FTFa

Det Faglige Hus

Denmark's cheapest A-kasse with trade union
Sign Up Read more about DFH


Cheap A-kasse and HR Law for the self-employed
Sign Up Read more about ASE

Main topics about A-kasse

Transferring periods of work and insurance from another EEA Country As an EU citizen you can transfer acquired rights from Unemployment Insurance between EU contries. Be aware that there are some requirements and deadlines that are important to meet. And you have to use a PD U1 Form. Read more here..
Transferring unemployment benefits Under certain conditions you can go to another EU country to look for work and continue to receive your unemployment benefits from the country where you became unemployed. And you have to use a PD U2 Form. Read more here..
Unemployment benefits ("dagpenge") Remember you have to be member of an A-kasse for 1 year before you can claim Unemployment benefits ("dagpenge"). And you must meet the income-requirement. Read more here..
International graduates Graduates in Denmark can get Unemployment benefits from the first day after graduation, if they have been member as student of an A-kasse for at least 1 year. Read more...
Residence Card If you are a non-EU citizen you must have a residence Card which allows you to take any job with one day notice. This is because you must be available for the labor market for being eligible for unemployment benefits ("dagpenge").
Membership fee In Denmark many people are member of both A-kasse and trade Union. Especially for the Union membership there are significant difference in price for membership.