Guide: How to switch to another A-kasse

You can change to another A-kasse very easily and at any time you want. There is no notice period (however 1 month for unemployed and students) and you retain all your accrued rights.
Changing A-kasse is called "overflytning" in danish A-kasse legislation.

There is free choice in Denmark when it comes to A-kasse, and you are not - because you work in a particular industry or company - forced to be a member of a particular A-kasse, but can switch to all A-kasser where you can become a member. Look in our table with all 22 A-kasser, where you can become a member.

You can always regardless of your job or education become member of one of the 10 interdisciplinary A-kasser. For the rest 12 A-kasser you must work or have education within the professionel field which are covered by the particular A-kasse.

Just sign up with the new A-kasse

You just have to register in the normal way in the A-kasse you want to switch to. Registration can be done online at all A-kasser's websites.
You can find links to online registration forms in our table with all 22 A-kasser.

ATTENTION! It is important that you do NOT cancel your membership in the A-kasse you are switching from.
Your old A-kasse and your new A-kasse handle all this between themselves.
You therefore only have to apply for admission to the new A-kasse. If you terminate your membership yourself, you risk losing your accrued rights.

The A-kasse you switch to takes care of everything practical, including that you will not have to pay member fee twice, not even if you change in the middle of a quarter.

No notice period if you are employed
You will be transferred from the time the A-kasse receives your application. If you are unemployed or have free membership as a student, however, your cancellation will only take effect after the notice period, which is the current month + one month.

If you are unemployed or a student, it will therefore take some time before you are transferred, but the new A-kasse will also coordinate the transfer here with your old A-kasse, so that you will not pay too much in contribution or lose accrued rights.

Your accrued rights are preserved

If you are transferred from one A-kasse to another, your previous membership and work periods will be included in the new A-kasse, so that accrued rights are carried over to the new A-kasse.

If you - at the same time as you are a member of an A-kasse - complete an education that entitles you to admission as a recent graduate, you can obtain the graduate rights (rights as a recent graduate) in connection with the switch. It is a condition that you apply for a transfer no later than 2 weeks after the end of the education.

This page was last modified on January 3, 2023.

Main topics about A-kasse

Transferring periods of work and insurance from another EEA CountryAs an EU citizen you can transfer acquired rights from Unemployment Insurance between EU contries. Be aware that there are some requirements and deadlines that are important to meet. And you have to use a PD U1 Form. Read more here..
Transferring unemployment benefitsUnder certain conditions you can go to another EU country to look for work and continue to receive your unemployment benefits from the country where you became unemployed. And you have to use a PD U2 Form. Read more here..
Unemployment benefits ("dagpenge")Remember you have to be member of an A-kasse for 1 year before you can claim Unemployment benefits ("dagpenge"). And you must meet the income-requirement. Read more here..
International graduatesGraduates in Denmark can get Unemployment benefits from the first day after graduation, if they have been member as student of an A-kasse for at least 1 year. Read more...
Residence CardIf you are a non-EU citizen you must have a residence Card which allows you to take any job with one day notice. This is because you must be available for the labor market for being eligible for unemployment benefits ("dagpenge").
Membership fee and taxYou will automatically get a deduction in your tax for your fee to the A-kasse and trade union. There is no ceiling on the amount you can get a deduction for when it comes to contributions to A-kasse, whereas you can get a maximum deduction of DKK 6,000 for a trade union.